22 Jul 2024 Council meeting Community

"Nanaimo Builds for the Future" Plan (Part Two)

Motion
That Council defer consideration of the following recommendation to a future meeting: "That Council direct Staff to begin preparation for an Alternative Approval Process for the borrowing for the South End Community Centre. That Council defer consideration of the following amendment motion to a future meeting:"That Council amend the motion to change the wording from an Alternative Approval process to a Referendum proces.
Sources

Procedural vote

Agenda itemCity agenda

Questions and answers

Councillor Ian Thorpe
Speaker identificationConfident
Yes

asked
get back one step further. So, Councilor Thorpe. Thank you, worship. No, I think we're in Ms. Gurry's hands here and. She can assist. I'm quite satisfied to defer this entire topic for further thought and further discussion. When costing numbers are more clearly established. I think that's fine with me. So I'm not clear whether. We need to simply vote on the deferral of the entire subject or whether we need to deal with my amendment. My proposed amendment first, and Ms. Gurry can perhaps guide us. Sorry to
Sheila Gurrie
Speaker identificationConfident
answeredDirector, Legislative Services
This has gotten a little bit convoluted. So right now there's a deferral on the amendment. My suggestion would be that you vote on that and then you would vote on the main motion, and there could be a subsequent motion of deferral for that one, and it could. Say to defer to a future GPC meeting. Where a discussion on which method of approval of the elect. Electors could be discussed at that time. The time and method of approval of the electors for a South End Community center could be deferred to an upcoming meeting. I just want to make sure. If you don't mind, Mr. Lindsay. There

Councillor Sheryl Armstrong
Speaker identificationConfident
Yes

asked
Seeing a lot of. Councilor Armstrong. Yeah, I'm just wondering if. I don't know if Mr. Harding is there or.
Councillor Sheryl Armstrong, Councillor Ben Geselbracht or Councillor Tyler Brown asked
Not, but my understanding was that they wanted to get a decision because. If app or whatever referendum fails, then we're back to square one. Or are we going? To have to expend more money. Or what? Prior to a
Dale Lindsay
Speaker identificationConfident
answeredChief Administrative Officer
decision being made. Mr. Lindsay, please. You were showing. Mr. Harding is online, and he can jump in here. But what I would say. Was the real intention was. To get us on the path moving forward to seeking alternative approval. And I agree that the decision could be deferred based on the subsequent motion you made on that the same day, and. You've now endorsed here tonight. We'll be coming back in the fall with further information about the updated numbers on the waterfront walkway and options around Babin. So I think once you have that information? As council gazerbreck said, you could step back and say, okay, do we want to? Package these together in a referendum or an AAP, so deferring the decision to when you have more details on those two other projects? I think. Is.